When you arrive in Australia, you have a large selection of accommodation possibilities. These are:

In the following I will outline the varied styles of accomodation as well as an estimate of cost for each.

Short term accommodation

After your journey you`ll need short term accommodation to get used to your new environment and to make further plans.
The best place for short term accommodation may be a hostel.
You find Hostels or “backpackers accommodation” everywhere in Australia which all vary between $10 to $25 per night, depending on the place and season.

Dorm style accommodation varies in the number of people they hold which can be anywhere from 4 to 20 people! Some hostels offer additional free night/s if you stay a whole week or more.

You find all the necessary information about hostels in the “Lonely planet” travel guide, backpacker centres, tourist information centres, backpacker magazines (e.g. TNT), at each location (bus stops, travel agency, car rentals, etc.) or in the Internet.

The main (Hostel chains) are:

The more expensive alternative is to sleep in a hotel.

If you plan to buy/rent a campervan there is the possibility of camping. There are camping sites in many places as well as the outer suburbs of large cities. When camping they may charge you for a “Campsite” (approx. $5 to $15 per night) or per person. At campsites you may have facilities that include showers, barbeques, pools, entertainment areas, TV etc. A list of all caravan parks is available at the local “motor association” (eg. NRMA) or at the “tourist information centre” located within each town.
There are options to camp next to the road in certain areas but be careful, this is mostly not allowed and you may be fined!

There are many (favourable) motels in Australia. You can share a double / twin room with your travel mate which will normally include tea / coffee facilities, TV and fridge. If you want to spend more on the accommodation, there are many hotels or Bed & Breakfast’s in Australia.

A good resource with reference to short term accommodation is the “Australian Tourist Commission” or visit:

Long-term accommodation

The longer you are in Australia, the more you might want to be apart of the real “Australian Lifestyle”, therefore befriend and try and stay with an Australian if you have the time!

Suitable long-term accommodation is easier to find after you got a job as you then know what kind of accommodation you need, how much it may cost and at what location it should be.
You can eather live in share accommodation, rent a flat or be a subtenant.

If you rent a flat (dwelling), then you need to sign a lease for at least 6 to 12 months. As a subtenant you rent the flat off someone that has already rented it.

In share accommodation on the other hand, you live together with someone who has already rented the dwelling and all of you share the costs.

It might be the most convenient to move into share accommodation as you live together with real Australians or other travellers from all over the world. A word of warning though, you should hang out with your possible flatmate first to see if you are compatible!

The costs in share accommodation vary depending on place and number of people but can cost from $40 to $200 per week. You will find share accommodation in newspapers, e.g. in the Sydney Morning Herald, at Notice boards in Universities, internet Cafes, or in backpacker magazines (eg. TNT and the WORD). The main universities in Sydney are Sydney University, the University OF NSW and The University of Technology. You find lots of noticeboards with useful information.

Other useful web sites are:

To rent a flat:
If you rent a dwelling, you must stay for at least 6 months. Some landlords/apartment rental agencies want a personal and professional reference. Personal references should be former employers and professional references should be former landlords who can inform your potential landlord that you paid rent on time and kept the place clean and tidy. 
The costs for a one-bedroom apartment starts at $200, a two bedroom-apartment lies between $250 and A$400, but it`s all dependant on the state and the suburb that you live in.

Other useful web sites are:

House Sitting
As House Sitter you live in someone else’s house, while they are away. You job is it to take care of the house as well as doing neccessary jobs like (checking the post box, water the plants, take care of the animals). You don’t pay any rent, but a registration fee at a mediator company. The fee varies depending on area and the kind of the house. The people looking for house sitters possibibly prefer couples.

Look under: